Bold Gold leaf

This piece was intimidating as all heck. It was huge and boldly styled, those claw feet make a statement on their own. When I picked this up, my husband wasnt sure what I was thinking! I just look for things that are different, styles I haven’t done before, and well made. This thrift store find met those criteria, so I brought the set home

Materials list:

Dixie belle slick stick

Dixie belle paint in caviar

Dixie belle gator hide

Dixie belle application sponge

Craft store ready gold leafing

Matte mod podge

Order your Dixie belle paint here:

http://www.dixiebellepaintcompany.com/shop/?aff=23

Luckily, I didnt have to choose a finish, because a customer scooped this up from my unfinished inventory. I’d done a piece for them before and seen their home which helps immensely when doing custom work. It was a brand new build and filled with bold decor, sweeping ceilings, a lot of original artwork, and Asian-esque design.

My favorite custom orders are when a customer gives me a color and then sets me free. I can usually envision a piece from there. At first we were looking at black and copper, but that changed to gold.

I started by cleaning this piece well with Dixie Belle white lightning. The original finish was fairly smooth, so I also gave it a coat of Dixie belle slick stick, a gripping primer.

With a clean surface to start with, next was two coats of Dixie belle caviar, a nice, true, black. I got great coverage over the white primer in two coats of caviar.

I knew other than the gold leaf, this would be a simple finish underneath, so I sealed my paint with Dixie belle gator hide. I did tint the gator hide with just a bit of caviar paint to help prevent streaking over the dark black paint. Tinting clear coat is especially helpful over the darkest and lightest colors, whites, blacks, navy, etc

I spray painted my hardware a matte black so they would blend in with the body, except where the gold leaf went.

We wanted a random look with the leaf. I started in an upper corner and carried it down in a diagonal using mod podge as my adhesive. Let it get a bit tacky, then lay the leaf, tearing the edges so it doesnt lay in a perfect square

The leaf needed more so I used the imperial damask stencil by redesign with prima, taped it in place with painters tape, and used a sponge applicator to sponge mod podge into the stencil.

Once the mod podge was on, i laid gold leaf over the whole door. I’d never done this before, so wasnt sure how it would turn out. I left the mod podge to dry and went back with a soft brush to brush away the leaf that had no adhesive under it. To my surprise, it worked! The voids brushed away and the adhered portions stayed! I over brushed a bit for a dramatic aged effect. It was imperfect and had tons of character.

I replaced the two pulls I was missing with gold pulls from hobby lobby, added a gold drapery tassel, and this was ready to stage! One of my favorite pieces for how well it photographed

3 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s